FIRE DETECTION AND ALARM SYSTEMS
The purpose of fire detection and alarm system ((which is activated either by operating manually through MCP- manual call point (or) activated through automatic detective devices like sensors)) is to detect smoke, heat or fire as early as possible depending upon the situation and initiating an alarm and triggering other appropriate actions like
• Firefighters immediately responding to the situation.
• Automatic or Manual triggering of the extinguishing process
• Evacuation of occupants etc
FIRE ALARM DETECTORS
An alarm system may be activated by automatic detection devices or by manual operation of manual call points.
EFFECTIVENESS OF FIRE DETECTION AND ALARM SYSTEMS: A robust installation of fire detection and alarms systems should be planned and following things to be ensured for effective functioning. The fire detection and alarm systems should
• Detect the fire quickly enough as per its intended functions without errors and remain insensitive to phenomena other than those where its function is to detect
• Reliably transmit the detection signal
• Translate this signal into a clear alarm indication that will attract the attention of the user in an immediate and unmistakable way
• Indicate the location of the fire and initiate operation of ancillary services, such as fire extinguishing system, etc
COMPONENTS OF FIRE ALARMS SYSTEM:
The main components of a fire alarms system are
1. Initiating devices
2. Notification devices
3. Fire alarm control unit(Control and Indicating equipment)
4. The primary and secondary power unit
5. Auxiliary devices
INITIATING DEVICES: These devices may be activated by automatic detection devices or by manual operation of manual call points.
• Smoke Detectors
• Heat Detectors
• Multisensor fire detector
• UV/IR flame detectors
These devices connected at regular points in a circuit have sensors that respond to a physical stimulus such as heat or smoke or flame.
NOTIFICATION APPLIANCES (ALARM SIGNALLING DEVICES): These are the fire alarm
signalling appliances, coomonly used are of audible type, portable fire fighting pump